Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I cover my hair. Deal with it.

Where to start....I cover my hair.  It's one of my quirks and surprisingly has nothing to do with my religion.  Plenty of women cover their hair for religious reasons and that's great.  When you choose to cover your hair because of deeply held religious convictions, you are making a bold and powerful statement regarding something that you strongly believe in.  Whether you are Sikh, Muslim, Amish, Mennonite, Pagan, Jewish, or anything else and feel called to cover as part of your religious practice you are awesome and if you want to cover your hair, I applaud you and will support you 100%.   I, however, have no religious conviction to cover my head.  My decision to cover my hair came about through trial and error experience.  I have a lot of trouble with anxiety. Sometimes I become so overwhelmed doing simple things like dealing with unfamiliar people that I sit in limbo for days because I can't make that one phone call to a stranger. A few months ago, my family was dealing with several stressful situations and my anxiety issues were hitting harder than ever. And yet some days it wasn't such a big deal.  Some days I rocked those phone calls.  I kicked butt and took names.  I was the powerful woman asserting my authority I'd always been in my head and yet had been slowing losing in my day to day life.  Eventually I noticed that on my 'good' days at some point I had tied a bandanna over my hair or put on a wide headband that covered most of the top of my head.  I still don't know why covering my hair makes such a big difference in my ability to function and assert myself.  I have some theories that I'll probably share in future blog posts but in the end I don't care why it works.  I just care that it does work.  So I will continue to cover my hair in some fashion or another and anyone who has a problem with it can deal with my proud, assertive, head-wrapped self as I tell them exactly where they can shove their options on my clothing choices.
See my awesome wrap. Appreciate my awesome wrap. Or else...


No comments:

Post a Comment