Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Historically Passable Headcovering

Simple yet surprisingly pretty muslin sinar tichel to go with my costume

My family has matching Scottish (for fun, not historically accurate) costumes.  They are fun to wear and we make quite an impression when we all match.  One problem...I made these costumes before I decided to cover full time.  One solution...Since I did the tutorial on Sinar Tichels earlier this week, I decided to make a quick one in plain muslin.  It allowed me to see what a sinar tichel would look like made out of the simplest fabric available and it got me a quick head covering for my costume.  I'm actually pretty pleased with the results and it is so comfortable I haven't taken it off since trying it one a couple hours ago.






I think it looks a little like the 14th Century headdress in this picture without the detail work.  I purposefully avoided adding adornment to the covering for two reasons. One (and the most important) - It would be stupid to add too much detail to muslin when the fabric is so cheap and thin.  Two - I have garb for several different eras (Ren Faire style Scottish, accurate 14th Century, Norse, ect) so the fewer time and culture bound details I put in the more chances I will have to use this covering.


Tomorrow I might try to twist the bands to make a crown like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment